10.04.2009

Born Standing Up

Just read Steve Martin's recounting of his comedy days. Took me a few hours. (So I guess that qualifies as a light read.)

Come to find out, he likes logic, and found out that Lewis Carroll (Author of Alice in Wonderland) did to.

Here's a Carroll logic gem Martin refers to: (follow closely)

1) No real poems are unpopular among people of real taste.
2) No modern poetry is free from affectation.
3) All your poems are on the subject of soap bubbles.
4) No affected poetry is popular among people of taste.
5) Only a modern poem would be on the subject of soap bubbles.
------
Therefore, all your poems are uninteresting.




I took two logic courses at UNH and found them tough, but fascinating. In a fit of cleaning out one day I sold them to a used book store. Those are some books I wish I had never gotten rid of.

On another somewhat logical side, my current position with A*VISTA has me venturing into the world of html with Google sites. I know just enough to be dangerous, so I'm trying to learn more. It taxes my brain, but I kind of dig it. It kick starts me into thinking.

But it doesn't keep me from procrastinating on other projects.

So I wonder how long this will hold my fascination.

How's that for a logic problem?

No comments: