2.23.2006

What is it about "boys screaming into microphones"?

I would not call myself a Punk Rock conniseur. While people I knew were listening to Circle Jerks, Suicidal Tendencies, Black Flag and the like, and truly enjoying it, I found the music more a passing fancy. A few interesting tracks, but other than that a bunch of noise. I did own at least one Sex Pistols tape, and a wonderful double tape set of Ramones that I picked up at the original Newbury Comics in Boston. (Or Rockit Records in Nashua.)
There is a subtle difference between the Ramones and the Sex Pistols. Ok, maybe it's a vast chasm of difference. But the Ramones held to rythmn. You could actually sing along to "I wanna be sedated" instead of just jumping around like a fool or giving yourself whiplash. The Ramones had energy, it was always present.
Unfortunately, I have rarely found a rock band populated by girls to have the same sort of energy. I'm sure I'm missing something great out there. Positive of it.
But it brings me to a personal question.
What is it about boys screaming into microphones? Why, at a relatively sedate age when I should probably be listening to something a bit more calming, am I purchasing Fall Out Boy and My Chemical Romance and listening to them like some teen just learning how to express herself? The same could be said for the Foo Fighters, only I think I am closer in age to Dave Grohl so it somehow justifies my attraction to the band.
But what is it about boys screaming into microphones?
Their lyrics don't necessarily speak to me. I'm far from male and far from angry. Still, I would give myself whiplash while driving the car if I could. I would be the laughing stock of a show, the scary old lady who can't give up on her youth, that the crowd of messy haired teens looks on with suspicion. "Maybe she thinks she looks like she fits in, but she's just sad man."
There's enough societal pressure to act your age. So when you don't feel like as many years have passed, what do you do?
I interviewed a town electrical inspector once because he was retiring. He was a local favorite. Everyone knew Remy. When I interviewed him he was in his 80s. One of the first things we talked about, though I don't know if it made it in the story, was that he didn't "feel" a day over 18.
Where is that balance between listening to boys screaming into microphones and, when someone catches you listening, establishing that your musical tastes doesn't mean you haven't grown up.

No comments: