10.10.2006

Finishing what you've started

Months ago now I decided to work on the Mad Scientific method. Something fun. Something silly. Something that I could do on my Friday mornings.
Now, because it wasn't nearly as silly as I was hoping, (and because I have this great way of cranking myself up over things that shouldn't get me cranked up) I think about the Mad Scientific Method in a quite apprehensive manner. I haven't gotten back to it and I'm feeling like I just can't stick with anything.
Wah wah wah. Poor me. I could complain and whine, or I could just look back and see what number four is and ramble on about it a bit.

So, we're at test your hypothesis by doing an experiment.

In the latest Superman movie, Lex Luthor (who could fit the definition of a mad scientist in some respects) takes a teeny, tiny bit of the crystal from the fortress of solitude and puts it into the water being used in a model train set up of his, now dead, heiress wife. A city wide black out, and scaled down carnage on the model train set, ensues. BUT, Lexie gets the result he wants. That teeny tiny bit of crystal grows into a quite ominous larger and more destructive crystal. So his evil plan gets legs and is set in motion.

How common is it for a mad scientist to actually "test" things before unleashing them on the rest of the world? Dr. Moreau had his own island full of caged experiements. Dr. Frankenstein didn't actually start out mad. I believe he was initially repulsed by the work of his mad scientis uncle; felt that attempting to bring life back to something lifeless was morally reprehensible. But a few months of studying the books, (thereby violating Number 2: The fools, they were all wrong)and Frankenstein was all gung ho to test the theory. And then he despised his creation once it was alive. All that work to then be bound by some sort of moral dilemma. Perhaps Frankenstein was never really cut out for this line of work.

I'm having a difficult time coming up with a mad scientist who's initial experiement was less of a test and more of the release date for the latest madness. (It's getting closer to the time I have to start getting ready for work so the pressure is on.) I'll make a flimsy pledge to come back to this.

But I think it's fair to say that scientists and mad scientists alike really thrive on the experiment stage. No matter if it's a small "lets see what happens and then move to something bigger" or a "Cry havoc and release the dogs of war" approach. (Say, has anyone else ever tried to control this city through a hoarde of house centipedes genetically manipulated to actually thrive in the light to the point of covering every surface, human or not, in order to soak up the UV to the isolation of all else? I'll have to google that.)

Madness awaits at the college. I must go.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hordes of house centipedes ... shudder. What a gawd awful image in my head ... truly a mad plan.