2.16.2006

RAD

That stands for Rape Agression Defense. It's a women's defense class offered by colleges and police departments across the nation. I've always wondered what these classes were all about and have finally gotten the opportunity to try one out. Paperwork and discussion was last night, next week we start the actual physical defense training.
A friend of mine once said something to effect that taking this kind of class is mostly just calling bad situations to yourself. I didn't ask for clarification at the time because I didn't know quite how to respond to a comment like that. Because I know how to defend myself doesn't mean I'm going to put myself in a potentially dangerous situation just to see if I can use what I've learned. Hopefully, I'll never have to use it. But it's a tool that I'll carry with me just in case.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So what did they teach? Fighting? Talking a bad date out of getting worse? something else?

Came across you via photofriday, btw, I liked your approach to the baby challenge.